Saturday, December 16, 2017

Christ Church is 150!


150 years on, we reflect on God’s goodness and faithfulness in Christ Church Crouch End since its consecration on 27th June 1862.

A special service to mark the 150th anniversary was held on Tuesday 26 June 2012, presided by the Bishop of Edmonton, Rt. Rev. Peter Wheatley. The pews were almost filled to capacity as the service was attended by parishioners and friends both past and present. Amongst the special guests were the Rev. David H. Hubbard and the Rev. John E. Townsend, two of Christ Church’s former vicars.

The ceremony concluded with the unveiling of a commemorative tile, set to mark the momentous 150 year anniversary of the church. A surprise swiftly followed when the incumbent vicar, the Rev. Canon Dele Agbelusi, was presented with a special gift from the Christ Church PCC celebrating his 25th year as an ordained Anglican minister. A buffet reception in the Church Hall rounded off the evening, providing an opportunity for guests to get acquainted and re-acquainted in a warm, joyous atmosphere.

Our celebrations continued on Sunday 16th September 2012 with a special service of Thanksgiving and Holy Communion, presided by the Bishop of London, the Rt Revd & Rt Hon Richard Chartres.

During the service, the Bishop gave Christ Church his blessing for the next 50 years, highlighting the Church’s vision to preach more of Jesus Christ. His sermon focused on the keys to fulfilling our vision: a foundation of deep, spiritual prayer and a drive fuelled by compassion towards our world alongside our conviction in the Christian faith that Jesus is the Son of God. He concluded the service with the launch of the official 150 Year History of Christ Church Crouch End, written by Mrs Sheila Wheeler, the longest attending member the church (since her birth!). He echoed the words of his forward in congratulating the literary quality of the book. His introduction was followed by brief comments from the author, the Mayor of Haringey, Rev. Hubbard, Rev. Townsend and finally, Rev. Agbelusi, who all gave their perspective on the significance of this year in the church’s chronicles. At the end of the service, our guests joined us for some photographs and a time of fellowship in the hall during a delicious church lunch.

We are thankful to God for the significant presence of the church in the area of Crouch End for 150 years. In stating our age, we remember that Christ Church is not the building but the people that gather in the building. It is our duty as Christians to be representatives of Christ wherever we are. We open up our doors to all who seek a deeper meaning to life and we reach out to those seeking help. We are looking back on 150 years of success and challenges, not to dwell on the past but with one purpose in mind: to look ahead and to keep pressing on, going towards the goal for which God has called each one of us.

Thank you so much for celebrating with us.

To God be all the glory!

Christ Church, Crouch End


Please click on the links below to access additional media marking our 150th anniversary celebrations.

Resources

The Official History: “150 Years of God’s Faithfulness in Christ Church, Crouch End” by Sheila Wheeler (2012)
Also available in print at the production cost of £2. Please contact the church office on 020 8340 1566 or by email on christchurchN8@aol.com, if you would like to purchase a copy.

Crosslinks Special Issue June 2012: 150 Years and Still Counting…
Special anniversary edition of our church magazine ‘Crosslinks’.

Order of Service: 150 years of God’s Faithfulness to Christ Church
A special celebration and unveiling of commemorative tile, with the Bishop of Edmonton, Rt. Revd. Peter W. Wheatley on Tuesday 26th June 2012 at 7:15PM.

Order of Service: Thanksgiving Holy Communion Service and Launching of 150 year History of Christ Church
A Thanksgiving Service and Launching conducted by Bishop of London, The Rt Revd & Rt Hon Richard Chartres on Sunday 16th September 2012 at 10:30AM.

The Vicars of Christ Church from 1862 to 2012

About Us – Christ Church History